Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Gap School

Compilation of The Gap School artists

For several weeks I have been in the throws of an application process to be the Music Specialist at The Gap School here in Sarasota. It is an opportunity I became aware of through a friend in The Florida Voices, a music ensemble Garland and I have been members of for 3 years.

The Gap School is a private special needs school for 7-18 year old students. They are expanding their curriculum for the 42 students to include music education, and as part of the process I had to develop a proposal including program and expenses for the Board of Directors.

Beginning August 18, (with two days off to take Emma to Hope!), I will be teaching on Mondays and Wednesdays at this unique school! I'm so excited, because in spite of the Next Food Network dream, THIS is my primary passion--music with kids. With all the changes at Riverview, this is an exciting and thrilling venture I'm about to begin!!

6 comments:

Don said...

Thanks for the link. I read most of the info in the site. THis sounds like a special place for kids. Do they have a set curriculum for you or do you have to create?

Katy said...

This is going to be so great for you mom!!

Mrs. M. said...

This is a great place for kids! I'll have 5 classes with 8 in each, divided up by 2-3 gr, 4-5, 2 of 6-8, and then a high school class.

Yes, my proposal had to include curriculum. I'm utilizing orff instruments as the primary instrument, and then some hand rhythm instruments. Mondays will be introducing new concepts and Wed. will be center rotations to reinforce everything.

Ruth said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you.

Grandma said...

I, also, am so proud of you, honey! I know for sure that they could not have a better music teacher....congrats, again, on your surviving the ap process, and getting selected!!

Love you, Mom

Ginnie Hart said...

Congratulations, Shari! I'm sure you'll tell us all about it!