As I have returned from yet another Florida Music Educators Conference, I am in the throws of defining who I am from the perspective of being vs. accomplishments.
I have frequently set aside personal goals and dreams to aide my family's best interests over the past 25 years. I don't regret these sacrifices. I look at the successes of people I went to high school with....songwriter, conductor, television writer, psychologist, agent, and the list goes on, and wonder if I made the right choices for me.
I live in a humble home. I have down-to-earth friends. I enjoy simple things in life. This morning as Laura and I rode to school together, she affirmed me as a person and my accomplishments from her perspective. It meant a lot to know my 15 year old daughter is proud of me.
Today I think success is in how you are viewed by your almost-grown children and the people in your daily life. My 25th high school reunion is this summer. I hope I can remember these thoughts at this moment in time when I meet up again with friends from my youth.
How I spent my time this past weekend (evidences of success!):



7 comments:
Good to start the year this way. I agree it's the people closest to you who can say if you have accomplished success humanly speaking. They see us in times of crisis and pain, when our "worst selves" surface. Maybe we're only as good as our worst selves.
Oh dear, now I'm depressed. :|
I've known you a long time, Aunt Ruth(!), and have seen you in many situations...college, dating, child-rearing, mothering jr. high through sr. high, adult children. I even have a few of you in high school!
No need to be depressed!
You could say the same about me. (do you remember when I took your make-up when you lived with me?!!)
It is true that those closest to us see the worst we have to offer. Too bad, isn't it?!
Sometimes you just have to remember that while you may be looking at the material successes of others, they may be looking at the personal successes you have accomplished!
Living In Fours, I'm curious...
how did you find me? would love to know who you are! Thanks for visiting...
I don't think you can characterize one person on how unsuccessful they may appear at one time (hour, day, phase) or how glowing & successful at other times. The total makes up who you are which means you're still becoming you until the day you die. I, too, have struggled with feeling left behind in the glitz of other people's more public, outward lives at times. While I still have small kids at home, I learn a lot from your honesty on the stage you are in. Thank for continually pondering out loud. I will be there before I know it. And you've done so much with music through the years - you really inspire me.
Wow, Manda, you humble me. Even today I was watching my hs friend, Marcy, on the stage at The Kennedy
Center this past week with her collaborator, via the internet. My thoughts were myriad...
I'm standing here juicing oranges from our tree in an attempt to save money (tropicanna now charges $7 per gallon in FL...what's with that?!), and looking at what Marcy has done with her life. I'm wondering if I should advise my children to take opportunities in front of them. You know, the whole, "it's not What you know but Who you know" scenario.
Just a few mornings ago, Garland remarked that we will be in MI and Lydia will be almost grown. We will have missed "it". Maybe we'll be there just in time...you know, for the hard stuff. Kids are cute while they're young...but they don't stay young forever.
3 is hard. 8 is...15...20... No matter what, we're there for each other. You're in the trenches. Hang tough. Your kids' Mimi does things for mine I couldn't begin to accomplish...unique roles during unique times in our childrens' lives.
Family is a commodity success can't buy, isn't it?
Luv ya, cuz, :)
It totally is so much about who you know. But then once you get a position through a great connection, you have to have the know-how to KEEP the position. So both are good!
Yes, you can have Lydia during her teen years since you'll be so close. We'll consider it boarding school and pay you. However, I have a feeling she'll be the one to give us the least amount of adventure. You just never know. Clara already has this, "You've GOT to be kidding, Mom" look. It's hilarious. Now.
Post a Comment