Each year at Alta Vista Elementary School in Sarasota, they have a "Young Authors" project. In kindergarten, the child is given a blank book, and is expected to provide the story and illustrations for their book. Parents are expected to be the transcribers.
So, I now present: The Cottage Story, by Laura Matejka
Laura is now entering her freshman year at Riverview High School, as an incoming IB candidate. I think she has a great start to her artistic career.
That is just awesome, Shari. Thanks for making a post outta this and letting us know. What a great contribution to the memories the rest of us have just had after the 4th! Maybe next year you'll all be able to join us. I hope so.
I love to see what has had an impact on our children. What a sweet keepsake. I see a photo of Uncle Don. I have a photo of Don with Laura at that age with a tiny fish on a fishing pole on my desk at work. Sometimes I wish I could get into kids' heads and see the world through their eyes. I felt like that at Hukilau last week.
Ginnie/Boots: I keep this book on our "important/favorite books" shelf. With all the recent talk of the cottage, I just had to contribute this way! Garland questioned our decision to stay home (eventhough it WAS right for this year) several times last week. He said each time we wouldn't miss this again. We will definitely be there!!
Ruth: There are so many things I love about this book! I laugh each time I look at it--especially the picture she drew of herself, without legs, roasting marshmellows; and she with Don in the kitchen.
I agree that, for the good and bad (read her "about the author" at the end), the child's perspective is very telling.
Wouldn't it be fun to send blank books to others in their generation and ask them to do the same project about Hukilau?! Then we could get in their heads!!
Ummmm, a new post, PLEASE! Haven't read one since I ran into you--and that was about 2 wks ago! GREAT to see you w/ toothbrush in hand! (And wine...LOL!)
7 comments:
That is just awesome, Shari. Thanks for making a post outta this and letting us know. What a great contribution to the memories the rest of us have just had after the 4th! Maybe next year you'll all be able to join us. I hope so.
I love to see what has had an impact on our children. What a sweet keepsake. I see a photo of Uncle Don. I have a photo of Don with Laura at that age with a tiny fish on a fishing pole on my desk at work. Sometimes I wish I could get into kids' heads and see the world through their eyes. I felt like that at Hukilau last week.
Lots of love.
Ginnie/Boots: I keep this book on our "important/favorite books" shelf. With all the recent talk of the cottage, I just had to contribute this way! Garland questioned our decision to stay home (eventhough it WAS right for this year) several times last week. He said each time we wouldn't miss this again. We will definitely be there!!
Ruth: There are so many things I love about this book! I laugh each time I look at it--especially the picture she drew of herself, without legs, roasting marshmellows; and she with Don in the kitchen.
I agree that, for the good and bad (read her "about the author" at the end), the child's perspective is very telling.
Wouldn't it be fun to send blank books to others in their generation and ask them to do the same project about Hukilau?! Then we could get in their heads!!
Oh my, oh my, oh my!!
.... 'just read/viewed this blog.... wow!
Even tho' you showed me this book "umpteen" yrs. ago, Shari, what a flood of memories emcompassed all about me! Thanks so much for sharing it again.
Love you, Mom
i LOVE the picture of uncle paul giving her the airplane ride. precious!
Ummmm, a new post, PLEASE! Haven't read one since I ran into you--and that was about 2 wks ago! GREAT to see you w/ toothbrush in hand! (And wine...LOL!)
Love you!!
Post a Comment