
No, now preparation begins in November.
I'm alright with that. I have more time to put a lot of thought into keeping Thanksgiving meaningful for my family. I get weary of the marketplace passing over this time of remembrance of the goodness of God in our lives. I suppose it shouldn't surprise me. Do I really expect people lacking in faith to embrace a faith-filled day of celebration? It is more than pilgrims and indians getting together for a big dinner. It is a day to step back. Reflect. Enjoy the blessings of God in our life. And give thanks to the One to whom thanks is due.
So then why do I get exhausted at the idea of preparing for another holiday season?
I must take responsibility for the choices I make. I choose to bake 17 different types of cookies each year. I choose to spend 3 days decorating our home. I choose to accompany choirs and participate in days upon days of rehearsals and concerts. I choose to sew, plan, cook, bake, clean, shop, etc..... I wonder this morning, as it is all about to begin, what would happen if I chose differently?
Would it still be Thanksgiving for my family if we didn't have a big brunch in addition to the dinner?
Would it be a meaningful Christmas if the house wasn't decorated in each room and no myriad of cookies to pull from the freezer?
Would I enjoy the sounds of Christmas if they only existed on the cd's we own, and not the live concerts?

Who knows? But this one thing I do know:
I do all these things to create memories. It's the look on two of my daughters' faces walking in from college to see and smell Home. It's creating new memories for Elly, coming to Opa's house and seeing the Macy balloons. It's the crazy-unbelievably stressful but irreplaceable-week of Renaissance, filled with costumes, hair, music, late nights, drama (people and script), castle up and down moments that all work together somehow. It's the friends by the outdoor fire, reconnecting, laughing, enjoying seeing each other once again. And as it goes later than my bedtime, hearing it all just outside my bedroom window...falling asleep smiling for my almost grown children.
So let Preparation H(olidays) begin. God, grant me the energy, strength, time, and desire to accomplish all these...
3 comments:
I guess you said it!
Love the video.
Shari, I enjoyed your comments. I was "forced" to choose other options for the holidays the year I broke my foot and could not do any of the usual holiday celebration activities....shopping, decorating, baking, meals....anything at all. Just staring at my leg in the air for 6 weeks...from Thanksgiving through Christmas. It changed my heart and attitude.
Shari, I was laughing so hard at this video! Especially Garland adding his own 2 cents at the end and Emma's "Is this really happening?" look. So so funny!!!
Yes, Holidays, with a capital H. So many good memories. Just don't overdo it! And that means something different for everyone! God's blessings to you all in the next several weeks. Love you!!!
Post a Comment