
Under a tent, in the hot summer morning, a group of politicians, educators, students and parents gathered...
WAIT! There were plenty of reporters there. I don't need to write like one! ;)
Never been to a groundbreaking before this morning. Never had the daunting task of choosing words to represent the emotions any high school parent might have at such an occasion as this. I was just me. And I had fun!


Unexpected things--food, keepsake shovel and hardhat, a trophy to memorialize the event, and a tumbler. The last, definitely, most practical of all. (Although, as an aside, I must say I think Garland was very happy with the shovel!)
I'm just glad the school is able to move past some of the controversy, even though there are still bridges to repair and build. (Interesting to me, Alta Vista Elementary, cited in this same Time article from 1958, and their issue of preservation wasn't even raised during their new building process when Katy and Emma attended that school!)
Thankfully for the people who have invested 7 years getting to this morning's groundbreaking, there were no protesters present, and in this evening's news we'll discover how the press will skew the event.
Click on this to see our ABC affiliate's coverage online. If you look carefully, you will see both me and Garland!--go to the "video" link on the lower left!
It was a good morning. And on the way out, Katy stopped by Guidance to finally pick up her diploma.
That was the biggest accomplishment of the day.

2 comments:
What a beautiful (and "they also get younger looking every year!") parent, this daughter o' mine! Of course I'm proud -- who wouldn't be if they were the mama??!!
Great pics, Shari! (you always were very photogenic.....). I'm so glad it went so well for you today....I just knew it would! And thanks for the phone call when you got home -- I was waiting! :)
Thanks so much for many proud moments in your lifetime -- this one not being the least, by any stretch. I love you, Mom.
Wow. Wow. Wow. Happy memories before the big day when Katy travels North!
Post a Comment